[mythtv-users] File System Recommendation?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 3 02:45:22 UTC 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 8:36 PM, Bert Santema wrote:

> Using JFS here and I'm pretty happy with it. Only when it's not
> properly unmounted (in case of a
> crash) you need to repair it (usually done within 10sec). But other
> than that, it's quick and does
> the job.
>
> Cheers,
> Bert

OK, I'll throw in my 2-cents. I've pretty much tried them all.

I'm using ext3 on a RAID-0 system. Who the heck cares if it takes a
second or two to delete a 1-hour show ??

XFS has a reputation for going flaky on you if it starts to get full.

Reiser has enough problems you do not want to go there, or at least
some versions do.

I made the same discovery about JFS, an "improper" shutdown will
necessitate repair, easy enough to do but who wants to be bothered
doing it when ext-3 doesn't have that problem.

So I just stick with the "tried and true" that I know is going to work.