[mythtv-users] How to get X11VNC to run at reboot??

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Apr 3 02:31:23 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 03:42:06PM -0400, A JM wrote:
> Is anyone using X11VNC to run a headless Mythbox? how do I get it to startup
> after reboot and without having to login as a user??
> This is from the website but I'm not fluid enough to understand how to
> implement it? any would be appreciated.

I'm using a regular vnc server, and in my case I made a cron entry:

*/5 * * * * (vncserver -geometry 1200x900 :1) > /dev/null 2>&1

Every 5 minutes it tries to create a session on :1, failing silently if
the server is already running.  You could probably do the same thing
with X11VNC.

There is a special crontab time value of "@reboot" that will run a
script once when the machine starts, but using */5 means if I want to
restart my X session I can just "vncserver -kill :1" and it will
automatically come back after a short delay.

carrying the cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)