[mythtv-users] My HDTV woes

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 3 00:53:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 03:56:10PM -0600, Mark Lehrer wrote:
> > Pentium 4 3.00GHz w/ hyperthreading (64bit chip, but 32bit
> > install) 1GB RAM
>
> This chip is nowhere near powerful enough to do HDTV.  Intel, in
> general, is pretty worthless.  I recommend getting an Athlon x2 3800
> - that is the first chip I had that could do HDTV properly (my
> definition of properly is playing back 1080i content with 2x
> deinterlacing & at 1280x720).
>
> I tried a 3.2 GHz P4 and an Athlon 3500+ before, and neither was
> good enough.

My Athlon 3500+ works fine with standard MPEG-2 decoder ("Standard")
without XvMC.

With NVidia-8178, I had to:

	- Option "RenderAccel" "false"
	- Disable OpenGL vsync.

> > I KNOW 3Ghz w/hyperthreading & XVMC should be able to handle HD.
>
> Not correct about the CPU.  Are you sure that your card can do XvMC?

XvMC works (with expected offloading of CPU), but is not 100% stable;
my X often crashes, so I just don't use it. The 3500+ is sufficient to
do the job without XvMC.

--Rob