[mythtv-users] My HDTV woes

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 23:24:18 UTC 2006

Check out this post:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/133554?search_string=hdtv%20tweaks;#133554

I have a 3.2 w/HT and have lots of CPU available.  One big improvement that
I had to make was to recompile my kernel to ensure that the hyperthreading
was enabled.  Some folks will tell you that hyperthreading has little impact
but they are wrong.  Compiling my kernel with SMP made a 20-30%
improvement.  A 3.0 Ghz is plenty large enough.  Most posts I have read said
that the Intel's have a smoother playback than Athalon.  That might explain
why the previous poster had to use a faster Athalon.  But my comment may be
controversial and cause Athalon owners to disagree.

I agree with the previous post that suggested that you use 7667 driver and
no XMVC.  8178 can work but it will take a lot more cpu than it should.

To verify that you have HT enabled in your kernel, enter this command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

You should see two processors.

Here is my output for comparison.  Note proc 0 and proc 1:

mythtv at htpc:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 3201.496
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm pni
monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips        : 6405.35

processor       : 1
[...]
bogomips        : 6399.24