[mythtv-users] giving back...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 2 23:22:37 UTC 2006

On 04/02/2006 06:48 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

>On 4/2/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>

>>It's 1080p, and it's beauuuuuutiful! (The "8" in HL-Rxx68W stands for
>>1080p.  HL-Rxx67W is 720p.)
>>
>awesome, do you feed it via HDMI or does it have a VGA input?

VGA.  With proper timings for that TV, DVI at 1920x1080 progressive
requires dual-link DVI.  Samsung used single-link DVI inputs because few
video cards supported dual-link at the time of the release.

>also, have you noticed any audio sync issues with 1080i input material
>from like an xbox or dvd player?

My only output that's better than NTSC is on my Myth box (which uses
VGA).  Using a PS2 with NTSC output, I couldn't see any sync issues, but
if improperly configured, you will see them.  I.e. you have to change
the name of the input to "Game" (whichever input you connect the game
to) to get it to work on some of the inputs.  At avsforum, a lot of
people talked about issues, but I think it's just their config.  There's
a nice little thread with all the info you might want at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=559872 (currently 311
pages).

I don't know how well it works with the XBox360's 720p, though...  You
can specify GAME mode for the component (as well as composite) inputs,
but GAME mode only supports 480i on composite...  If you want to buy me
a 360, I'll let you know if it works.  :)

I know, though, that the only processing the Xilleon does on the VGA
input is scaling (and you can "unscale" it).  It scales to 95% of
visible area (or so) to allow you to see the entire desktop.  I just
scaled it up, which means that it scales to some other size, instead.

Also, the best part about it is that 720p input signals actually look
better on a 1080p TV than on a 720p TV that's using a 1:1 pixel ratio.
Sampling theory says that to fully portray a given image, the output
resolution must be greater than the input resolution.  A rough
rule-of-thumb says that 2:1 (output:input) ratio should give excellent
quality, but it's actually noticeable even when displaying 720p on 1080p.

Mike