[mythtv-users] Introducing TapeWorm, a parasitic MythTV front end for Windows

David Woods david at spurgeonwoods.com
Sun Apr 2 18:55:25 UTC 2006

> > Greetings.
> >
> > I have created TapeWorm, a parasitic MythTV front end for Windows. At
> > the moment, all it does is allow you to share shows recorded by
> > Linux-based MythTV on networked Windows computers. Like any good
> > parasite, I expect TapeWorm will grow with time.
> >
> > TapeWorm has two advantages over WinMyth. First, it requires
> > significantly less network resources to do its job that WinMyth does.
> > Second, it works on my (admittedly pathetic) network, while WinMyth
> > just can't display MythTV video in a smooth stream for me, even under
> > ideal conditions (which are extremely rare in my house.)
> >
> > TapeWorm 1.0, Beta 1 is now available at
> > http://david.spurgeonwoods.com/tapeworm. I would greatly appreciate
> > feedback from the members of this list about TapeWorm, about the
> > configuration instructions (as I am not yet fluent in Linux,) about
> > whether you find TapeWorm to be a worthwhile development effort, and
> > about what the most important future development priorities might be.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David
> >
> > P.S. If you want to know why I refer to it as a "parasitic" program,
> > see the TapeWorm web site!
> >

> I could use a version of this program for Linux. I commonly watch shows
> from my linux desktop machine, but having NFS drives attached from my
> mythtv box, and using the 'pretty' symlinks to choose a show to play
> (via a filemanager).
>
> Having a program to read the database and select programs to play would
> make it even simpler. What is it written in? Could it be ported to linux?

The program is written in Python, using wxPython for GUI and MySQL for
Python for connectivity.  It spawns an OS session with a call to a media
player, which will be configurable with the next release.

So porting to Linux (and OS X for that matter) would be trivial.  The only
thing I don't know is how to go from Python source code to something
distributable that protects my source code on Linux.

TapeWorm is not currently an Open Source project, but I am open to
collaboration.  If someone knows how to distribute Python-based applications
on Linux, and wants to donate a little work to a software project that is
trying to raise money for a charity serving children with cancer, please
e-mail me.

David