[mythtv-users] Lost channel icons and names...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 2 17:32:42 UTC 2006

On 04/01/2006 10:36 PM, Roland Roberts wrote:
> Somewhere in the upgrade process and my floundering about trying to find
> the problem with an inability to connect to the tuners, I managed to
> lose all my channel icons and names both in mythfrontend and in mythweb.
>
> I've run the mkiconmap.pl script, followed by the mythfilldatabase
> script to load them but they still do not appear in either mythfrontend
> or mythweb.
>
> What am I missing?

Don't know for sure.  Another user said he couldn't get the mkiconmap.pl
stuff to work, so I went ahead and tested it on mine and it worked
without issue (using the instructions at
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.5 ).

Make sure the user running the mythfrontend program has read and execute
access to the directory containing the icons and read access to the icon
files.  The icons will be placed in ~/.mythtv/channels directory for the
user running mythfilldatabase.  If you run mythfilldatabase through
mythbackend (instead of via cron), the same user running mythbackend
will run mythfilldatabase.  Note, however, that if some script lies
about the user's HOME directory (i.e. you run mythbackend as root, but
have "export HOME=/home/mythtv" in the mythbackend start script), the
icons will be in the $HOME/.mythtv/channels directory.

For more, see the threads at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/182172#182172
and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188242#188242