[mythtv-users] Which tuner card? Can you make a recommendation?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Apr 2 00:44:46 UTC 2006

Douglas R. Spindler (DNAI) writes:

> I was thing of the PVR-550, but it doesn't come with a remote?  Don't you
> want a remote?  Looks like the PVR-350 has some audio issues and is the only
> difference between the 150 and 250 an FM radio?

There are two ways of using the PVR-350's TV-Out.  The first way is to use
mythtv's native support for PVR-350's TV-out channel, which uses the PVR-350
for both video and audio output.  The second way is to use ivtv X module,
which runs X on PVR-350's framebuffer, and uses your sound card for audio
output, and does not use PVR-350's audio out at all.  This actually gives
you better results, and my understanding is that mythtv's native PVR-350
TV-Out support is going to get dropped, because ivtv is the better way to
go.

So, as long as your audio card has good ALSA support, you should be OK.  You
only need to connect PVR-350's video out, and run audio out from your sound
card.