[mythtv-users] DVB-C, HDTV and UPC cable-networks

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 1 16:30:18 UTC 2006

--- Heinz Bernhard
<Bernhard.Heinz.iel02 at fh-joanneum.at> wrote:

> Hiyas!
>
> I'm a total newbie and at the moment trying to
> layout a mythtv-boy for my new flat. Since I've
> already got a UPC cable-connection there, I've been
> thinking about DVB-C. UPC is offering analog and
> digital TV via the cable, so DVB-C *should* work.
> Has anybody any expierience with the UPC-network and
> DVB-C receivers?
>
> Since HDTV is also broadcasted via cable, I'd also
> want a tuner-card, which can process HDTV. Does
> anybody know DVB-C tuner-cards, which work with
> MythTV, UPC and are HDTV-ready? At best, it would
> have two tuners. I heard about two cards from
> Hauppage (WinTV-NEXUS-CA and WinTV-DVB-C). Do they
> work for my purpose? Any other suggestions?
>

> Thank you for helping me
>
> Bernhard Heinz

I have limited experience with DVB-C, since I have
messed around with it a bit.  I am making an
assumption here, that your cable connection with UPC
is actually a DVB connection.

Unfortunately, finding a DVB-C card is somewhat
difficult, the only sources that I have found are
located in Germany (which sucks since I live in the
United States).  You can try dvbshop.net, the
Technotrend cards are actually clones of the Hauppauge
cards (at least the C-1100 I used was).  I have
previously gotten a Technotrend C-1100 Budget
(unfortunately discontinued now) working under Linux
with the DVB drivers.

As for the HDTV part, if the HDTV is broadcast over
QAM, then you should be able to use the DVB-C card to
receive it - you'd get an MPEG-2 stream from the card
that you could watch with the appropriate player
(MythTV, mplayer, xine, etc.).  It would just be a DVB
stream with a higher bitrate.

-- Joe