[mythtv-users] Xorg config... getting display size correct

Stephen Rowles stephen at rowles.org.uk
Sat Apr 1 10:15:37 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I now have my lovely new hardware built, and Fedora Core 5 installed
(because it supports the new via SP1300 out of the box)

I have everything installed and working - YAY!

but only 1 problem, getting the video output to fill the whole screen :(

Currently I have a small 4:3 ratio box in the middle of the screen, and
cannot figure out how to make the display cover the whole screen.

I followed the instuctions and sample xorg config file from here:

http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/unichromeTvOut.html

but on my Sony 28inch widescreen TV I don't get anything close to
widescreen.

Its not ever the correct size for the "zoom" setting, as this cuts off
the top of the screen and still leaves small black bars on the left and
right.

I've tried starting the desktop and using xvidtune but usually that just
ends up with the whole screen being unreadable due to sync problems.

Any expert X tuners out there who could help?

Cheers.

Xorg.conf (relevant sections)

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier   "MonitorTv"
  VendorName   ""
  ModelName    "TV-PAL"
  HorizSync    24.0 - 80.0
  VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
  #Option      "nodpms"
  #Option      "noddc"
  # Set for 4:3 display
  # DisplaySize 300 225
  # Set for 16:9 display
  DisplaySize 400 225

  ModeLine "720x576" 32.7 720 744 816 912 576 577 580 597

EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "VideocardViaTv"
  Driver      "via"
  VendorName  "Via"
  BoardName   "CN400"
  #Option  "PciRetry" "true"
  # VideoRam    32768
  # Option      "ActiveDevice" "CRT,TV"
  # Option      "UseBIOS" "true"
    Option      "TVType" "PAL"
    Option      "TVOutput" "S-Video"
  # Option      "TVOutput" "Composite"
  # Option      "TVOutput" "RGB"
  # Option      "TVVScan" "over"
  # Option      "TVVScan" "under"
  # Option      "TVDotCrawl"
  # Option      "DisableVQ" "true"
  # Option      "NoDDCValue"
  # Option      "HQVManualSwitch"
  # Option      "NoHQVVFilter"
  # Option      "CaptureOverScanOff"
  # Option      "Cap0Deinterlace" "Bob"
  # Option      "Cap0Deinterlace" "Weave"
  #        Option      "Cap1Deinterlace" "Bob"
  #        Option      "Cap1Deinterlace" "Weave"
  # Option      "Cap0FieldSwap"
  # Option      "NoCap0HFilter"
  # Option      "NoCap1HFilter"
    Option       "EnableAGPDMA" "true"