[mythtv-users] Cutoff point for upcoming recordings?

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 17:38:00 UTC 2005

On 9/30/05, Niklas Brunlid <nbr at ticalc.org> wrote:

> Is there any way to see, in the upcoming recordings screen in Mythfrontend
> or Mythweb, when the disk space will run out given the current schedule
> and recording profiles?

No, there's nothing like that to my knowledge. However, if Myth is set up
correctly you should NEVER run out of disk space. That's what auto-expire is
for. If you're like me there are some shows you record because you really
want to watch them and there are other shows you record as filler (like
Cops, Simpsons, Blind Date, etc). I set all those 'filler' type shows to
auto-expire and the shows I really want (Modern Marvels, Law and Order, etc)
to not auto-expire but to have an episode limit (i.e. no more than 6
episodes of Law and Order). Once the episode limit is reached Myth won't
record any more showings of that program until an episode is deleted (or it
will delete the oldes episode and replace that with the newest one, depends
how you set it up).

It takes a little bit of setup time up-front and a little bit of calculating
how often your favorite shows are on and how much total disk space you have,
but once you get it set up correctly you should never have to worry about
disk space unless you start archiving large numbers of shows.

Would be very nice if, like me, you went on a business trip for two weeks