[mythtv-users] Debugging DVD burn problems

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 00:06:21 UTC 2005

>  I installed mythburn last weekend and thought I had it working well, but
> last night I actually sat down and tried to watch the DVD. About 7 minutes
> into the program, the DVD player just hangs on one frame. (Behavior is repro
> on the OS X DVD player, too).

Does it play fine with mplayer or xine on Linux? What encoder card and
what version of ivtv?

>  I dug through the burn log and didn't see anything that looked too messy.
> There were a few errors about not being about to create /.qt, but I've seen
> other posts claiming these are harmless.

nonetheless, you should create a valid homedir for the user running
mythburn and make sure that the permissions are appropriate so that it
can create ~/.qt ...

What version of dvdauthor are you using? I had problems with non-linux
playback using 0.6.12-alpha versions, but those went away when I went
back to 0.6.11

>  Also, the thumbnail for the show in the main menu is just solid green.

Had the same problem with a "stock" rpm for transcode. Problem went
away after rebuilding transcode and having it auto-configure all
available options. Perhaps someone else can figure out what config
option is missing from transcode and Axel can build future transcode
rpms that won't make green thumbnails ;)

>  Any suggestions on how to go about debugging these sorts of problems?

well, you can start by looking at mythburn.sh :)

-Ross