[mythtv-users] Re: Hardware MPEG2 vs bt878

Baudouin, Andrew andrew.baudouin at awc-inc.com
Thu Sep 29 20:50:24 UTC 2005

Actually, believe it or not...

All things equal a framegrabber will result in superior quality on-disk.
The problem lies with the quality of the tuner on the cheap framegrabbers.
It's clearly below that of the more expensive hardware cards.

To preserve quality ideally you'd like to have the raw video on disk and
compress it as you see fit rather than go straight into MPEG2.

Andrew