[mythtv-users] Hardware MPEG2 vs bt878

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Sep 29 10:37:10 UTC 2005

> Can someone with hardware an hardware mpeg2 card like a PVR-150 or
> PVR-500 and a bt878 based card send me screencaps from both cards
> comparing the quality of the two

 	bt878-based cards don't have comb filters.  That means that the
luminance bandwidth (i.e. sharpness on screen) blows goats.  Maximum
spatial resolution of such captures is about 400x480.  For cards with comb
filters, it's more like 540x480.  That's the biggest difference in my
experience... and I've captured test patterns with both to prove it (at
least with my cards).

-Cory