[mythtv-users] Noob Question....

Joshua Orr jojo at oregonfast.net
Thu Sep 29 07:33:27 UTC 2005

Greetings, folks.... I'm a new user for Myth, ... I've been having problems
making play lists, per the faq, or other documentation I've read, and I
think I got it all.... :)  It never comes up to ask me a file name, or where
to store it.  I also can't seem to find what type of file is compatible with
Myth, I've already built play lists for my favorites, and would like to use
them

The second thing I've noticed, not sure what's going on here... but need
some ideas to go on.:  I attempt to build the music database, it scans,
works for a while and crashes out of MythTv, back to my KnoppMyth desktop.
In viewing the logs, and referring to available memory it appears it is
running out of RAM.  I'm thinking that's a though thing to do for Linux.

System Configs:

Asus Terminator C3 barebones system, everything stock, nothing added yet.
Via C3 processor
512 MB Pc2100 RAM (DDR)
80GB HDD (Maxtor)

I have one other question, if I may.... is there a way to make music more
dominant in the system?  I've already got a DVR on my Dish system, and don't
quite want to put this system in the living room.  I also don't have any
video capture cards at the moment.  Music is my main focus and hobby.

Oh, and I have some 5300 + tracks, some are VBR, some aren't.  Most of those
are in WMA format, if that makes any difference?  ?!  If it does, I'd
consider converting them, but would take a very long time.  Probably go FLAC
if I did, or Ogg... not sure which is better.

I also haven't found a way to change the ratings.  All of my tracks were
rated with JR Media Center / Windows Media Player, they showed up in either,
along with music match.  They refused to show in Ejukebox... Apparently now
all of my tracks are 5 stars ?? no, they shouldn't have been.....there are a
fair amount that should be 4, and quite a few in the three star range...

Thanks in advance for the assistance, and BTW: Great job on MythTv It's
almost exactly what I've been looking for since my conversion from win on
this machine.

Jojo