[mythtv-users] FusionHDTV 5 on Linux

Erik Pettersen pettersen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 01:05:38 UTC 2005

On 9/28/05, Stefan Wrobel <swrobel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the difference is that the gold has a cx88 based tuner, while
> the lite has a bt878 based tuner.
>
> My impression from what I've read on the linux dvb mailing list is
> that the bt878 has a smaller buffer than the cx88, which would make
> the lite more sensitive to contention on the PCI bus, or longer
> interrupt latency (shared irqs, etc).

Forgive my ignorance....   I'm looking at:

http://www.copperbox.com/lite/fusion5.php

Which has a little table to describe the difference between the fusion
5 "lite" and "gold"

                Fusion-HDTV-5 Gold Plus   |	Fusion-HDTV-5 Lite
ADC           Conexant 2388x 10-bit 	 |   Conexant 878 8-bit
Demodulator 	5th Gen. LG 	          |    5th Gen. LG

Does the ADC 10bit vs 8 bit Conexant chip even factor in if recording
OTA ATSC or QAM?  I wouldn't think so, but i'm confused or only have a
very limited understanding.

In any case, I've been wondering about the Fusion 5 cards and linux
support and glad the original poster brought this up (and the
excellent responses that ensued, of course!)

E.
--
http://www.byopvr.com