[mythtv-users] Home Media Network Advice. Help! :-)

Jay Jarvinen jay-lists at 3pound.com
Wed Sep 28 02:57:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 05:40:44 -0700 (PDT)
chicken bigger <chickenbig76 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I'd like to do is have a central media server in
> the basement, and client media adapters (players) in
> other rooms. What would be great is if the clients
> could schedule recordings independently but share each
> other's streams, along with DVD backups hosted on the
> central server.

Since you mentioned sharing streams .. part of my story:

We just re-purposed our garage and added a pool table. In order to
watch Myth out there without the expense of a new frontend, I
decided to use a modulator. I chose the Channel Vision E1200,
although 'fancier' models w/IR passing & stereo audio do exist. To
get a good signal throughout the house, I needed an extra 15dB
cable amp.

The MP3 server in the garage (a lowly P1-233) forwards IR requests
to control a 'shared' frontend, I'm happy with it (for the price).

If you should decide you want simulcast like this, consider the
coax run from the modulator:

Since I first installed the modulator, I've moved it to a basement
closet. As a result, I had to re-run the coax from the modulator
to the back of the house where it meets up with the incoming cable
signal. (TMTOWTDI)

I also wish I'd run an extra CAT5 throughout the house, for the
time being I'd use it for adding serial receivers, but could be
used for more advanced all-in-one CAT5 based wall units.

It's not exactly as elegant as structured wiring solutions, but
upfront cost combined with the unknown of whether it'll actually*
be used, has been a big issue for me.

--

As long as I'm here: The idea of a "Mega" MythTV server where each
frontend is simply an IR receiver or repeater, is appealing to me.

However, by my calculations, the cost of additional modulators (or
multiple-output model) and TV-out capable cards .. ends up being
just as expensive as building multiple PC frontends. :-/

So! While I like having one modulated channel, that's probably as
far as I'll go for now.

-Jay