[mythtv-users] Home Media Network Advice. Help! :-)

James Roberts jamestrob at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:51:45 UTC 2005

If you're willing to pay a SLIGHT premium, here is a company which sells
bundled wire:
http://store.commscope.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10101&categoryId=10701&langId=-1

I found the electrician building my house didn't charge extra for running
this instead of the standard stuff (he saved money on cables, since I
supplied this myself). I personally went a little overboard with 2 coax and
2 cat5e, and the fiber homerun from a closet downstairs to each place there
would be a phone or cable jack in my house (14 media outlets). I also had a
run of this sent to the outside of the house. In the end, I can make any
media plug a phone outlet, cable outlet, HD antenna outlet, network jack, or
all 4. Plus I'll be ready if fiber ever becomes a practicle alternative. I
could have been more future-proofed if I'd had conduit run everywhere, but
the labor on that was more than I wanted to pay at the time and with a new
young child, I didn't want to spend my vacation time doing it myself.

Good luck,
James