[mythtv-users] Home Media Network Advice. Help! :-)

chicken bigger chickenbig76 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 12:40:44 UTC 2005

My new house will be completed in a month, so I am
starting to plan for a home media network that I'd
like to put together. I already have 1 coax and 2
CAT5e drops in each bedroom, the family room and home
office.

What I'd like to do is have a central media server in
the basement, and client media adapters (players) in
other rooms. What would be great is if the clients
could schedule recordings independently but share each
other's streams, along with DVD backups hosted on the
central server.

Is this something that is easily handled by MythTV? Is
it pretty easy to set up multiple clients and a single
server?

As a noob in this area, I'm sure there is a lot that
has already been posted on this topic, but I don't
know the best search terms to separate the fluff from
the gems. Hopefully some of you long timers can point
the way.

E.g. what are good video cards to use, a good site for
building reasonably priced clients, gotchas in putting
the network together, setting up IR with cable boxes,
what can TiVo do that Myth can't, etc...

Thanks for any replies!