[mythtv-users] Missing 1/3 of screen in Mythvideo

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 18:37:56 UTC 2005

On Sunday 25 September 2005 16:17, Frank Coogan wrote:

> Hi all! I've just completed an upgrade on an Asus Pundit from 80GB HD
> running Fedora 1/Mythtv .12 to a 200GB HD running Fedora 3/Mythtv .18.
> All
> went well following Jarods HOW TO. I have a couple of glitches I need
> some
> help with.
> First of all I'm not a Linux expert by any means. All I know came from
> Jarods guide, google searches and this forum. I am still a beginner
> with
> this OS. That being said here are the details of the problem.
> I have an ASUS Pundit running a P4, 512 mb, pvr-250, FC 3 installed
> following JW's HOW TO, Mythtv .18.
> When playing a file through Mythvideo the bottom 1/3rd of the screen
> is cut
> off and i can see the previous menu screen instead of the video i'm
> playing.
> I've searched the list for similar problems but have only found
> references
> to small black bars at the bottom or sides of screens. I'm using
> mplayer as
> I couldn't get the xine to work for me.Funny thing is its not doing it
> on
> every video file. Some tv shows that aren't widesceen it displays
> perfectly.
> Then another movie file that was widescreen displayed ok. This has me
> stumped.  Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info like
> the
> details of my xorg.conf file please let me know. This used to work
> without
> problem in my .12 install and would love to get it running again.
> Thanks,
> Frank

This is likely due to Xv issues, possibly a buggy Xv implementation in
either your video driver or the video card itself.  An easy workaround
would be to change your mplayer command line to specify a different
video output method.  If you have OpenGL support, you could try "-vo
gl" or "-vo gl2"; SDL is also an option.  To see a list of video output
methods supported by your copy of mplayer, run the following command:

	mplayer -vo help

Another possible solution would be to check and see if you're using
"Separate video modes for GUI and TV-out" option in the frontend setup,
and if so, turn it off.  You'll then have to restart X11 to make sure
the Xv plane is properly reset.

HTH,
JAC