[mythtv-users] RE: MySQL start up problem

Paul Barker myth at sixtimesnine.net
Sun Sep 25 22:27:13 UTC 2005

Jeremy Thompson wrote:

> Ok,
>  So I looked at those files.  Here is the log file, I took out what I
> think the options are.  Should be everything else.  The only thing I
> notice is the 'unrec option'.  See below.
>
> [quote]
> 050920 20:18:56  mysqld started
> /usr/libexec/mysqld: unrecognized option `--key_buffer=16M'
> /usr/libexec/mysqld  Ver 3.23.58 for redhat-linux-gnu on i386
> Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB, by Monty and others
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
> and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license
> Starts the MySQL server
>
> Usage: /usr/libexec/mysqld [OPTIONS]

Hi Jeremy

Sorry for not replying sooner - I've been offline for few days. Is this
still a problem ?

I'm guessing that the --key_buffer=16M option is what is preventing
mysql starting. I'm using the same version of mysql as you (guess you
may be on Fedora ?)

My /etc/my.cnf looks like this :

[mysqld]
#datadir=/var/lib/mysql
datadir=/share/db
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib
set-variable = key_buffer = 16M
set-variable = table_cache = 128
set-variable = sort_buffer = 2M
set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

As you can see it's using the set-variable syntax to set key_buffer.
Check in your's - it may be you have an my.cnf hanging around from an
older install of mysql. I vaguely remember the syntax changing at some
point. In case you're not aware (and forgive me if this is sucking eggs
time ;-) don't just cut and past my example above. I keep my databases
in a different filesystem from default so it probably won't work for you
(see the datadir= line).

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Paul