[mythtv-users] Seeking Remote Control Advice for PVR-500

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 16:11:42 UTC 2005

The actual physical transport medium for the signal
(IR versus RF) is completely irrelevant.  What matters
is that lirc is able to communicate with the receiver
to determine which buttons you pressed.  (My
understanding is that lirc started as a project for
working with IR receivers, but has grown over the
years.)

You can use a RF remote control if you want - although
I never got it to work (but I haven't tried in well
over six months, as I'm satisfied with my URC-6131),
the ATi Remote Wonder (which is RF) is supported by
lirc.

Also, using lirc is not a must - there are people who
are using mechanisms that act as keyboards without
using lirc.

-- Joe