[mythtv-users] OT: geforce 5200 and cables

Stephen Atkins satkins at inetdesign.org
Sun Sep 25 04:42:16 UTC 2005

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Neil Cronin wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using the svideo-out on the 5200 to the svideo-in on the
>> tv, but there is way too much interference.  I see about 100 grey
>> lines running from the top right to the bottom left of the screen.
>> I've tried various svideo cables (high quality and low quality
>> cables), but the interference is always there to one degree or
>> another.  The case fans on the computer are directly besides the agp
>> slot, and when I turn off the fans the interference goes away
>> completely.  Hooking up the computer to a monitor displays zero
>> interference with the fans turned on.
>>

> Is it possible to move your case fans?  Does the interference decrease
> as you move them further from your card?  Do you really need those
> fans on to provide adequate cooling to your case?
> There are always other cooling options (bay mounted coolers, etc) that
> you could use that would work and depending on your situation you
> might not need the fans at all.  Even my smallest case frontend
> doesn't require anything more than the CPU fan...

I also have a FX5200 and it doesn't have a fan on it.  I did put a fan
beside it because I noticed that it ran really hot (a fan that fits into
a pci slot).  I am also running a svideo cable from the card to tv
(actually VCR) and the cable length is 6'.  The one thing I did do was
spend a bit more ($15.00 CAD) for it and I don't have any problems.  I
do wonder sometimes if the quality of the cable makes a difference but I
just can't seem to buy the cheapest.  I'm attaching my xf86config for my
5200 below just in case thats the problem.  Just so you know I'm using
the 6629 version from nvidia.

Stephen

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        Option     "DigitalVibrance"        "85"        # <i>
        #Option     "NoFlip"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Dac8Bit"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoLogo"                 "False" # [<bool>]
        #Option     "UBB"                    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Stereo"                 # <i>
        #Option     "SWcursor"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"               # <i>
        Option     "NvAGP"                  "3"        # <i>
        #Option     "IgnoreEDID"             # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                  # [<bool>]
        Option     "ConnectedMonitor"       "tv"        # <str>
        #Option     "ConnectedMonitors"      # <str>
        Option     "TVStandard"             "NTSC-M"    # <str>
        Option     "TVOutFormat"            "SVIDEO"    # <str>
        Option     "RenderAccel"            "true"        # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CursorShadow"           # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CursorShadowAlpha"      # <i>
        #Option     "CursorShadowXOffset"     # <i>
        #Option     "CursorShadowYOffset"     # <i>
        #Option     "UseEdidFreqs"           # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FlatPanelProperties"     # <str>
        #Option     "TwinView"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "TwinViewOrientation"     # <str>
        #Option     "SecondMonitorHorizSync"     # <str>
        #Option     "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"     # <str>
        #Option     "MetaModes"              "720x480" # <str>
        #Option     "UseInt10Module"         # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo"     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoRenderExtension"      # [<bool>]
        Option     "Overlay"                "True" # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CIOverlay"              "True" # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ForceEmulatedOverlay"     "True" # [<bool>]
        #Option     "TransparentIndex"       # <i>
        #Option     "OverlayDefaultVisual"     "True" # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NvEmulate"              # <i>
        #Option     "NoBandWidthTest"        # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CustomEDID-CRT-0"       # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-CRT-1"       # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-DFP-0"       # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-DFP-1"       # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-TV-0"        # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-TV-1"        # <str>
        Option     "TVOverScan"             "0.72"    # <f>
        #Option     "IgnoreDisplayDevices"     # <str>
        #Option     "MultisampleCompatibility"     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "RegistryDwords"         # <str>
        #Option     "NoPowerConnectorCheck"     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "AllowDFPStereo"         # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCUsesTextures"       # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HorizSync"              # <str>
        #Option     "VertRefresh"            # <str>
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName   "Unknown Board"