[mythtv-users] VBI subtitles with ivtv cards?

Mark Cooke mpc at jts.homeip.net
Fri Sep 23 21:33:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 17:04 -0400, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Mark Cooke wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Well, the specs for this are all freely available...
> [...]
>
> Thanks! That's great information, but I don't think it quite answers the
> original question:
>
> How does MythTV currently expect VBI data from other drivers to be encoded?
> In other words, does MythTV treat each driver individually? Or does MythTV
> have a certain VBI format standard or standards it expects?

The patch data in http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/368 says:

''Note that this patch for the "analogue" teletext (as defined in ETSI
EN 300 706).''

So it would seem there is infrastructure for the EN 300 706 format
handling.  From the Martin Barnasconi patch I was using in August there
is also a 'ivtv native format' decoder around.

I did plan to try to get the IVTV output to be ETSI spec-based, then any
spec-based MPEG2 TS handler should be able to get to the VBI data.
Unfortunately, I don't have any spare time at the moment for hacking on
this, so I've been keeping quiet.  [ MPEG-TS and all this isn't my area
of expertise ]

Cheers,

Mark