[mythtv-users] Scrambling analog channels

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 17:31:09 UTC 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 13:08, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Friday 23 September 2005 11:52, Paul Schied wrote:
> > Just thought people might be interested in this. When deciding
> > whether
> > or
> > not to go ahead and attempt to pull together a mythtv setup I came
> > accross
> > the unfortunate reality that my cable company (comcast in Philly)
> > scrambles
> > almost all of my analog channels. If i hook up my direct cable feed
> > my tv
> > I am only able to get about a dozen basic channels, almost all cable
> > channels are scrambled. I only have basic extended cable and from
> > what
> > I've
> > been reading most people think that cable companies do not scramble
> > analog
> > channels even if they give you a cable box. Just an example where
> > they
> > definitely do.
> >  If anyone has any possible work arounds (I'm doubtful) I would love
> >  to hear
> > them as this has been a definite bummer for me.
>

> Are you sure you've got your TV set up properly?  When plugging analog
> cable directly into your TV, some TV's have a setup switch (older TVs)
> or a menu option that tells the TV whether it should try and tune to
> antenna (ANT) or cable (CATV) standards.  You wouldn't have had to
> bother with this if you were previously using a converter box, as the
> box typically outputs S-video or Composite video, which don't need a
> tuning standard; or else it outputs a broadcast-type signal on VHF
> channel 3 or 4, which wouldn't be a problem regardless of which tuning
> standard the TV was set for.
>
> What you're describing sounds exactly like what would happen if your
> TV
> thought it was tuning OTA via an antenna -- you're getting just the
> VHF
> channels.
>
> I live right across the river from Philly and I'm pretty sure the
> analog
> channels aren't scrambled.

One other thing... are you sure your TV is "cable-ready"?  If not, that
would also explain why you can't tune higher channels.  It's unlikely
that a recent model TV wouldn't be cable-ready, but I don't know how
old your TV is.

Actually, I'd be surprised if it's even legal to scramble analog cable
(non-premium) channels.

-JAC