[mythtv-users] mythcomflag - how do I set nice level?

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:47:21 UTC 2005

On 9/23/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/22/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> it
> when

> > > I think your real problem was commercial flagging when recording
> > > starts (a.k.a. "real-time commercial flagging).
> >
> > Could be. Now that I know where the setting are I can play with that a
> bit.
> > >
> > > You might be OK bumping CPU usage back up to medium so that
> > > commflagging can go faster. The nicing should prevent mythcommflagging
> > > from interfering with recordings. But I don't know the details of your
> > > capture cards, maybe you need more CPU for software encoding.
> >
> > 3GHz P4HT but currently a UMP kernel.
> > PVR-150
> > PVR-250
> > 512MB
> >
> > 250GB storage over NFS in another box so good networking matters.
>
> Hi Robert,
> Well, last night's recordings mostly failed again:
>
> 8PM - 1 30 minute show - recorded fine. Recording info says 30 minutes
> long
>
> 10PM - 2 30 minute shows. Both failed. One is 18 minutes, the other is
> 19 minutes.
>
> 11PM - 1 30 minute show - looks good
>
> 11:30PM - 2 60 minute shows - both failed - One is 22 minutes, the
> other is 25 minutes
>
> 12:30PM - 1 60 minute show - failed. Info says 37 minutes.
>
> Looks like I've got more problems than just the settings we played
> with yesterday. However, a question - Did I need to restart the
> backend server to get those changes to take effect? I didn't do that.
>
> I'll try that this morning as a test.
>
> Here's the failure messages in dmesg"
>
> ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #57: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently
> allocated
> ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #58: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently
> allocated
> ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #59: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently
> allocated
> ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #60: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently
> allocated
> ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #61: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently
> allocated
> ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #62: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently
> allocated
> ivtv: ENC Stream 0 OVERFLOW #63: Stealing a Buffer, 512 currently
> allocated
> mark at dragonfly ~ $

You've very likely got other problems if you are having those problems with
that set up. Have you checked for things like IRQ conflicts, and made sure
you are using a current IVTV that's configured correctly, made sure DMA is
enable on your drives, that sort of thing? With the two PVRs, your CPU
really shouldn't enter much into it as far as recording goes. Your problem
is likely to be elsewhere.