[mythtv-users] tvtime vs ptune.pl

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 01:52:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm still trying to get my PVR-500 working 100%. Right now, I can use
ptune.pl to change the channel, and then cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test.mpg,
and then play that in mplayer. Works like a charm. However, when I try to
launch tvtime, I get the following:

Running tvtime 0.9.15.
Reading configuration from /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
Reading configuration from /root/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
xcommon: No window properties found for EWMH.
videoinput: Card failed to allocate capture buffers: Invalid argument

On the screen it shows just a blue screen with "no signal" at the top. If I
try to change channels, I get the message "cannot open capture device
/dev/video0." This doesn't make sense, because I was just able to read from
/dev/video0! xawtv and mythfrontend also don't seem able to use the tuner,
but the combination of ptune.pl and mplayer seem ok. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian