[mythtv-users] Mass channel deletes

Brian Puccio brian at brianpuccio.net
Wed Sep 21 22:32:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 14:58 -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > Good to know, but you're making me feel like I'm slacking on my own
> > Adrian Monk-ishness.  I spend way too much time cleaning my computer
> There are two spaces. ^^ There should only be one.
> > systems, and now that you've mentioned another thing to clean, I'm sure
> > I'll be much better about my channel deletes.  I'll also have to check
> > out MythWeb's delete channel code to see how much it cleans up for
> > me--that might be an easier way to get it all clean.
>
> Is your Space key sticking? You could make a script with the TRUNCATE
> commands but maybe you should check your keyboard first. Have you
> cleaned your keyboard with rubbing alcohol yet this week?

Two spaces after a period (or exclamation or question mark) was a
practice that was started with typewriters to make it easier on the eye
to see breaks in sentences which were hard to pick out given their
monospaced font. With the advent of computers and proportional fonts
like Times New Roman, the practice has since shifted to one space.

However, one could argue that since this list is plain text and most
likely read on a machine in a monospaced font, that one should put two
spaces after a period.

http://www.webword.com/reports/period.html for more information.