[mythtv-users] Charlie Rose via PVR-350

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Sep 20 22:02:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:05:32 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>Mercury Morris wrote:
>
>> OK.  Thanks for satisfying my curiousity.
>>
>> Since Charlie Rose is the only show that exhibits the out-of-sync
>> behaviour, I felt it was worth asking if anyone else had seen it.
>>
>> There are quite a few additional tests that I can run on the MythTV
>> systems I have access to, and I can move the Charlie Rose recordings
>> to other, non-MythTV systems, and see if they play out-of-sync there, too.
>>
>> If I do eventually come up with a reasonable answer, I'll post it here.
>>
>Could this be a problem with your system (instead of a problem with
>Myth) that others are seeing where running mythfilldatabase (or wget of
>any kind) while recording causes an IOBOUND situation that prevents
>information from being written properly and causes an A/V sync offset?
>In other words, does Charlie Rose happen to record around the time your
>mythfilldatabase runs?

Another wild guess out of right field....Do you have the box turn itself
on to do this recording? And perchance do you have some older (especially
SCSCI) hardware in the box?

I have an old SCSI drive which I used for ripping some CD's. On playback I
get weird  stutters in the music. On some music the stutter was almost
regular... Long story short, it turned out that the drive was doing some
sort of thermal recalibration during that  session. When I left the box up
for 24 hours, the recalibration stutter basically disappeared. I wonder if
you are seeing a similar sort of change if your system is still warming up
while this program is being recorded.

I've never heard of Charlie Rose, but since you record every day, could it
be an afternoon program and you bring the box up just for this
recording...?  Just a thought...

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638