[mythtv-users] Charlie Rose via PVR-350

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 20:50:48 UTC 2005

On 9/20/05, Mercury Morris <mercury.morris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/20/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > One more observation, about a specific time: Last night's out-of-sync
> > > break occurred at 36:19 into the Charlie Rose show. That's within the
> > > first two minutes of Letterman. Maybe there is extra overhead at the
> > start
> > > of a recording?
> >
> > Possibly.

Extra overhead..., Hmmm.

Going back over the logs one more time, I found an event that
occurred three seconds before the out-of-sync discontinuity in
the Charlie Rose program. That event is the AutoExpire of the
oldest Letterman show. The size? Sixteen gigabytes - 16GB !

That's because I have the recording set for not just one hour, but
over two hours to also record Craig Ferguson. (CBS doesn't start
their programs on the zero-zero mark in a minute, so I gang the
two shows together for ease-of-viewing).

Is seems quite likely to me that the EXT3 filesystem cannot delete
the 16GB file fast enough, thus causing the IOBOUND condition.

A few months ago, I observed the EXT3 filesystem's long delays
in deleting old recorded programs during the preparation for adding
a new physical volume to the logical volume that makes up the file
storage for recorded programs. I could enter all the "rm" commands
as fast as I wanted, but the system took betwen one and two minutes
to complete all the requests.

It will be easy to "Pre-Expire" a couple of old Letterman shows, manually,
and then see if Charlie Rose is recorded without any discontinuity.

--
MM