[mythtv-users] Tutorial on Encoding (mostly re: file sizes)

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Tue Sep 20 20:24:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 12:44:03PM -0700, Ross Campbell wrote:
> I set my settings for mythtranscode to be somewhat aggressive, I bump
> resolution down, I bump audio rate down, and have decreased the
> min/max bitrate settings. This lets me transcode shows I don't want to
> burn to DVD, or want to watch later and store them while only taking
> about 900MB PER HOUR. Most of the time, I can't tell any difference.
>
> I'm away from my system, so I can't give any more specific info, but
> that should help you get started with planning. You should start with
> default values and adjust them *SLIGHTLY* (probably down), test and
> repeat until you find the best settings for you.

Any chance you might post your settings when you get closer to your
system?  1G/hour is about where I'd like to end up and having an example
of settings that produce results in that range would be useful.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that