[mythtv-users] ACPI sleep problems

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Tue Sep 20 16:54:27 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 17:29, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 12:27 +0100, Steve Hill wrote:
> > /proc/acpi/sleep seems to be the old
> > 2.4 kernel interface, whereas /sys/power/state is the 2.6 kernel
> > interface.
>
> I tried doing the "echo -n mem > /sys/power/state" on my laptop. It does
> go to sleep; the blinking lights show it is in a suspend-to-RAM state.
> But when I try to wake it up, it hangs. This is pretty much the same as
> "echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep";  I have to power it off and reboot to get
> it back. It looks like maybe this could be made to work; I have FC4 with
> a 2.6 kernel. Maybe that hibernate script is what I need; I'll try it
> out. Thanks to everyone for the pointers on this. Lack of suspend has
> been by far the largest pain in the butt to running Linux on a laptop;
> it's the one thing that Windows XP does that I wish Linux could do.
>
> This is wandering a bit off topic for Myth, getting suspend to work on a
> laptop, but more to the point is that if I can make it work on my
> laptop, perhaps I could make it work on my slave backend/frontend which
> would be directly useful to my Myth setup.
Totally of topic, but there seems to some interest in suspending.  This is my
suspend script (works fine on thinkpad G40):

#!/bin/sh
#set -x

# Initial settings
umask 0077
PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin"

# Suspend
#echo "Going to sleep at `date`"
echo "* chvt 1"
/usr/bin/chvt 1
/etc/init.d/mysql stop

#echo "* save vbestate"
#/usr/sbin/vbetool vbestate save > /etc/acpi/vbestate
echo "* writing to /sys"
echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state
echo ""

# Resume
echo "Back from sleep at `date`"
echo "* restore vbestate"
/usr/sbin/vbetool post
#/usr/sbin/vbetool vbestate restore < /etc/acpi/vbestate

#/bin/cat /etc/acpi/vbestate | /usr/sbin/vbetool vbestate restore
echo "* restore clock"
/sbin/hwclock --hctosys
echo "* chvt 7"
/usr/bin/chvt 7