[mythtv-users] ACPI sleep problems

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Sep 20 11:27:44 UTC 2005

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/sleep.html

>From what I understand, suspend to RAM should work but suspend to disk
needs some extra kernel patches.  /proc/acpi/sleep seems to be the old
2.4 kernel interface, whereas /sys/power/state is the 2.6 kernel
interface.  Whilest suspending using ACPI seems to just power my machine
off completely, if I disable ACPI and use APM instead it sends the machine
to sleep but won't wake up again.

> in Linux is not very robust as yet. Whether or not it will work will
> likely depend on exactly what kernel version you are running and what
> motherboard and BIOS chip. But it is highly unlikely that it will be as
> simple as echoing something to a /proc or /sys file. If you do manage to
> make it work, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm running Fedora Core 3 on that box (can't remember the exact kernel
version and I don't have access to the machine ATM).  I have made machines
go to sleep by echoing into the /proc/acpi/sleep file before and the docs
say it _should_ work...

--

  - Steve