[mythtv-users] Mass channel deletes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 20 05:29:18 UTC 2005

Bruce Markey wrote:

> Dave Sherohman wrote:
>
>> Would I break my existing
>> recordings or upcoming recording schedule if I just deleted all
>> records from the channel table, then ran mythfilldatabase manually to
>> reconstruct it?
>
> That would work but would leave behind program information that
> might be found in searches so you may want to remove all the
> program information also.
>
> $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
> mysql> truncate table channel;
> mysql> truncate table program;
> mysql> truncate table programrating;
> mysql> truncate table programgenres;
> mysql> truncate table credits;
> mysql> truncate table people;
>
> then run "mythfilldatabase" again.

Since TMS currently adds "new" channels to all lineups (instead of
allowing you to choose to lock in a lineup), and since I have DISH
network (which is adding all the local stations around the country), I
get new channels at least once a week (sometimes several channels per day).

To keep the 13 channels to which I've subscribed, I've been deleting the
channel and program information after updating my lineup at zap2it.
However, I've never deleted any info from programrating, programgenres,
credits, or people.  It looks like it's been getting deleted after
"expiring," but I wanted to verify that my (lazy) approach should not
cause any problems.

Thanks,
Mike

Why I have to watch this closely:

With the DISH network receiver, if you tune to a channel for which you
do not have a subscription, the receiver displays a message, "You are
not currently subscribed to channel <whatever>" and asking you to call
to add a channel to your subscription.  Unfortunately, the only way to
get out of this screen is to use channel up/down and then type in the
channel number you want (i.e. you have to be on a subscribed channel to
request a channel by number).

I learned this could be a problem when I came back from a week-long
business trip and found that I had 6 hours of "You are not currently
subscribed..."  DISH had added some local channels, which TMS added to
my lineup (even though the FCC /forbids/ me from receiving "local"
channels that are not broadcast from within my designated market area),
which mythfilldatabase added to my Myth database.  Then, when Myth
noticed "King of the Hill" showing on one of them, it tried to record
it.  Since the DISH receiver wouldn't tune to another channel afterward,
I ended up with 6 hours of annoying DISH messages instead of programs I
wanted.  Fortunately, it happened on my second capture card, so I only
got 6 hours of junk instead of 10+ (and, Myth's using the preferred
tuner was a very welcome behavior--I was very glad it didn't use tuner 2
to allow it to record the global pre-/post-roll).