[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 00:02:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 18:11, Jay Jarvinen wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:24:34 -0400
> "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Just to summarize:
> >
> > 1. load mythtv-suite on SBE
> > 2. configure ivtv
> > 3. verified that video can be captured on SBE capture cards
> > 4. run mythtvsetup on SBE
> > 5. in mythtvsetup  on SBE execute steps 1, 2  (note if I try step 4
> > I don't see any option other than none for the video source)
> > 6. configure mysql on MBE for access by SBE
> > 7. start mythbackend on SBE (confirm in log files that it connects
> > to MBE)
> > 8. run mythtvsetup on MBE
> > 9. in mythtvsetup on MBE add new capture cards with video sources
> > 10. ???
> > 11. profit!
> >

> > I get to step 9 but am unable to see the capture cards located on
> > the SBE.
>
> Hmm, step 9, the cards .. are configured on the machine where they
> physically reside. If a SBE goes down, on the status page, you'll see:
>
> "Encoder 3 is remote on SLAVE_HOSTNAME (currently not connected)"
> .. the MBE continues on it's way, rescheduling where appropriate.
>
> BTW, can you define "see the capture cards", how? If configured,

I expected to see the SBE capture cards defined in the MBE system in the
status page or in the setup on the MBE.

> http://MBE_hostname_goes_here:6544/ would show Tuner stats. [Likewise
> :6544 on SBE shows Tuner* stats, but only for that SBE's card(s)]

On each system (SBE and MBE) I just see the cards in those systems
defined.

> mythtv-setup on SBE: you should see the videosource from the MBE (menu
> option 3), just don't configure a new one. Then, under input
> connections (menu option 4) this source should be available to your
> SBE card.
>
> If not, then it sounds like a MySQL issue of some kind.

That is what I don't see.  Have verified that the SBE can connect to the
MBE.

> I'm not sure what the docs recommend, but I'd move your step #6 to #1.
> The mythtv-setup program needs the MBE IP/port configured in order to
> retrieve available videosources, etc.
>
> If you're unsure, a quick way to verify mythtv-setup on SBE is
> connected, would be to run 'mysqladmin processlist' on the MBE. There
> should be 3 threads (I think), with the user at SBE_host you're
> expecting.

I see one entry for the SBE.

[root at terrabyte ~]# mysqladmin -u mythtv  processlist
+-----+--------+--------------------+-------------+---------+-------+-------+------------------+
| Id  | User   | Host               | db          | Command | Time  |
State | Info             |
+-----+--------+--------------------+-------------+---------+-------+-------+------------------+
| 50  | mythtv | localhost          | mythconverg | Sleep   | 12691
|       |                  |
| 51  | mythtv | localhost          | mythconverg | Sleep   | 18
|       |                  |
| 52  | mythtv | localhost          | mythconverg | Sleep   | 291
|       |                  |
| 53  | mythtv | localhost          | mythconverg | Sleep   | 9063
|       |                  |
| 55  | mythtv | localhost          | mythconverg | Sleep   | 18
|       |                  |
| 76  | mythtv | localhost          | mythconverg | Sleep   | 2268
|       |                  |
| 77  | mythtv | localhost          | mythconverg | Sleep   | 2268
|       |                  |
| 99  | mythtv | terraslave.slh.lan | mythconverg | Sleep   | 8768
|       |                  |
| 102 | mythtv | localhost          |             | Query   | 0
|       | show processlist |
+-----+--------+--------------------+-------------+---------+-------+-------+------------------+
[root at terrabyte ~]#

> I mean no disrespect, but it should be a straightforward setup -
> therefore, instinct tells me it's something simple being overlooked.
> Then again, I don't surprise easily .. unless something works on the
> first try without reading the docs - then I worry.

None taken.  I figure it is something simple that I have missed.  A step
in the documentation that I skipped or a permission somewhere that is
not right.

Another question I have:  Do I even need to have mysql running on the
SBE?

> -Jay
>
> FYI: I just setup my (1st) SBE in the last 48 hours, but it worked out
> of the box, first attempt, recordings and scheduling all in order,
> playback = good, "failover" to MBE-only = good.  Ultimately, this
> slave will probably take over BE duties, but I can't miss recordings
> in the meantime. ;)

Yeah, I'm trying to add some additional encoders to the mix.