[mythtv-users] streamzap remote RECENT info?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Sep 19 02:00:09 UTC 2005

Evil Barney wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I've fought with my streamzap and myth for a long time.  I was unable
> to get it to work properly with FC3, but just now got it working with
> FC4.  not sure if this is what you need, but I could not find a howto
> like this anywhere, so I will post it.  maybe it will work for you, or
> someone else.
>
> My steps--
>
> 1. followed Jarrod Guid for FC4 including doing the Yum for lirc
> dirvers.  when done, IRW will not work nor lircd start up (not even
> sure if this step is needed)
> 2.  Get kernel source for FC4.  I did a "yum install kernel-devel"
> This downloaded the lasted FC4 2.6 kernel source.  note that I did
> already upgraded the kernel with "yum upgrade" per jarrods before.
> 3.  went and downloaded the lirc-0.7.2 source from lirc.org
> <http://lirc.org>.  unzipped it and changed into that directory
> 4.  ran "./setup.sh"  this opened up a shell gui install dialog box.
> inside there, I choose "usb devices, then streamzap"  not sure if that
> is the path, but if you go under "other devices" or usb, you will find
> the one for streamzap
> 5.  then inside the same gui, I choose to save and run config
> 6.  config ran with no errors.  before I got the source, it would give
> me a no source found error.  note that some text talks about making
> symlinks to where you kernel source lives if not found but installed.
> I did not have to do this with FC4 and the yum kernel source install.
> 7.  then, as prompted, I ran make, then when that was done, I ran
> "make install"  the compile ran without errors
> 8.. I then edited /etc/modprobe.conf.  I added the last line of "alias
> char-major-61 lirc_streamzap"  I'm not sure if the install did that
> step for me, but either way it needs to be there.
> 9.  then I started up the licrd demaon by doing "/sbin/service lircd
> start"  I got one green "OK"  sometimes to check, I will stop and
> start the service again to make sure it shuts down right
> 10.  under the lirc-0.7.2 install folder, I cd to the tools folder and
> ran irw.  can't remember if I had to chmod it to run first (chmod 755
> irw if you do).  at that point, I could hit keys on the streamzap
> remote and see inputs in the shell.  I hit control C to exit
> 11.  the last step was to add the lircrc config file to your home
> directories so it works with mythtv.  if you search this forum, there
> are good posts for pre-built streamzap lircrc files.  find one you
> like, download it and place it in "/home/<user>/.mythtv/lircrc .. note
> that the file name for the config is lircrc with no extensions.  I
> also had to put the same config under "/root/.mythtv/lircrc" because I
> run my frontend under root sometimes.
>
> from there, it all works fine.  I might need to change some of the
> settings in lircrc, or put the config file in some other places so it
> works well with mplayer, but looks like there are good postings here
> [...]

That's interesting.  I just tried last night moving my main frontend
from RH9 with a streamzap to FC4 and everything was fine until I started
using the remote and it would lock the box up hard after about 10-15
remote button presses.  I was using the same configuration files from my
existing installation and even tried backing down to 0.7.1 with the same
results...

Kevin