[mythtv-users] OT: Swapping processors

shadestalker at gmail.com shadestalker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 20:49:58 UTC 2005

On 9/16/05, Robin Smith <1canuck2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your best bet is to remove the heatsinks and leave the CPUs in their
> sockets. If your PC has an actual power switch on the power supply
> turn it off but leave the cord plugged in (to get a good ground). If
> there's no power switch (or a light stays on on your mobo, make sure
> you ground yourself first.

You can usually discharge the remaining power by hitting the power switch
with the PSU turned off or the system unplugged.

Look at the pins on the underside of the CPU, one corner will have one
> missing. Find the corresponding missing hole in the ZIF slot on the
> other mobo and line up the pins. Place the CPU in the pins (Remember
> the zero insertion force - it should drop in place easily). Then close
> the lever again.
>
> Smear a bit of thermal compound on the cpu and spread it around paper
> thin. You don't need much - too much is a bad thing for thermal
> transfer.
>
> Clean off the heatsink and place it back over the cpu and
> screw/click/lock it in place (there are different mechanisms for
> different heatsinks, so I can't describe how to do this - just repeat
> the method you used to remove it in reverse - they sometimes require a
> lot of force, just make sure its downwards force).

Check here, scroll down to Build and Installation Guides -
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_3748,00.html

This only lists socket A instructions, but the others should be on the AMD
site somewhere.

A short writeup on properly applying thermal paste is here -
http://www.ngtechnik.com/TIM.htm