[mythtv-users] TV out issues on ATI 9550 with FC3

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 23:21:57 UTC 2005

On 17/09/05, Michael Kalus <mkalus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a rather strange problem with my current setup. I could
> install FC3 and MythTV fine, but the moment the the XServer starts up
> my TV Out is completely distorted, almost like the refresh frequency
> is too high?
>
> A google for the problem seemed to suggest it was set to the wrong TV
> signal (PAL instead of NTSC) but that doesn't seem to apply as the
> console shows up fine.
>
> Resolution is set to 800x600 and I even set the refresh rate to 60,
> yet no dice.

Make sure you are using the latest ATI fglrx driver (or at least >=
8.12). It could be the TV-out bug in older drivers (definitely present
in PAL-land, but maybe NTSC too). There was a bug whereby the PLL
values were incorrect, giving a completely useless TV-Out picture.
There was a binary patch for some of the drivers available which fixed
it, but the newer drivers seem to be fine.

It might be something else altogether, but I had huge problems with
this over Christmas 2004 (using a Radeon 9100 IGP) and it wasn't
resolved by ATI until about April IIRC. I now run 800x600 (although in
PAL) with no problems.

Nick