[mythtv-users] Knoppix Install fails

Lee mythtv at varga.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 16:25:36 UTC 2005

>> I just started to install MythTV using the Knoppix distro.  It fails
>> with the error message
>>
>> "No such device or address when trying to determine file system size".
>>
>> I know knoppix will fail if the hard drive is not /dev/hda and
>> methinks that is the problem.  My CD-Rom is connected as IDE1 (the
>> only choice) and my hard drive as SATA1.  How can I make my hard
>> drive recognizable?
>
> I don't think you can. Knoppix is not a 'real' distribution. It's a
> cut down version of Debian I believe, and it makes it very easy to try
> it out, and get a quick install up and running for most people.  The
> problem of expecting /dev/hda is due to one of the
> shortcuts/assumptions it makes.   Someone may know of a workaround,
> but if they don't, I'd suggest getting a recent copy of a full
> distribution, like Debian itself, or, what I am using, Mandriva
> 2005LE.  Mandriva has no problems whatsoever using /dev/sda (the
> SCSI/SATA device name) for installation.

I think there are a couple of issues here...

1) I think you mean KnoppMyth not Knoppix.
Knoppix is a live Linux CD. I.e. it allows you to run a full version of
Linux on any PC booting straight from a CD, no install on the harddisk
is needed. This is useful to try out Linux without wreaking your Windows
install and also useful for rescuing PC's that have been damaged by
viruses, user error, harddisk failure etc. Knoppix is indeed based on
Debian Linux, but is far from cut down, it has better hardware
detection/drivers and has over 2GB of software compressed onto the CD.
KnoppMyth is version of Knoppix which has had MythTV (and a whole bunch
of other stuff) added to it. You boot with the CD and it will wipes the
harddrive on the PC, installs a Debian Linux operating system and then
installs all of MythTV. In many cases it will leave a 100% working
MythTV box when it's finished. In others it will need a small amount of
tweaking, but nothing like the work that has to be done with the likes
of FedoraCore using Jarod Wilsons excellent guide.

2) The current version of KnoppMyth R5A16, assumes that you have large
harddisk as your IDE Primary Master device and a CD/DVD/DVDR as your IDE
Secondary Master. The partitioning and setup is specifically geared to
this. As you have a SATA drive, the automatic install cannot work. End
of story. There is a expert mode available in the menu, and there are
people who have managed to use this, check the forums at
http://mysettopbox.tv