[mythtv-users] OT: Swapping processors

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 01:10:39 UTC 2005

Your best bet is to remove the heatsinks and leave the CPUs in their
sockets. If your PC has an actual power switch on the power supply
turn it off but leave the cord plugged in (to get a good ground). If
there's no power switch (or a light stays on on your mobo, make sure
you ground yourself first.

Wipe the thermal compund off the CPU (with it still in the mobo) with
a paper towel, getting it good and clean.

When both CPU's are clean, release the little lever to the side of the
socket to open the ZIF socket. Pull the CPU straight up (it should
lift out with NO resistance (ZIF means zer insertion force).

Look at the pins on the underside of the CPU, one corner will have one
missing. Find the corresponding missing hole in the ZIF slot on the
other mobo and line up the pins. Place the CPU in the pins (Remember
the zero insertion force - it should drop in place easily). Then close
the lever again.

Smear a bit of thermal compound on the cpu and spread it around paper
thin. You don't need much - too much is a bad thing for thermal
transfer.

Clean off the heatsink and place it back over the cpu and
screw/click/lock it in place (there are different mechanisms for
different heatsinks, so I can't describe how to do this - just repeat
the method you used to remove it in reverse - they sometimes require a
lot of force, just make sure its downwards force).

Voila, you are done!

Hope this helps and Good luck!

Robin