[mythtv-users] Anybody seeing "kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold" with Prescott CPU's and FC3 ?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 22:50:47 UTC 2005

This error drove me crazy for a few days after installing FC3 on an
older P4 1.8 system, until I realized that the CPU fan was clogged
with dust, and the CPU temp really was too hot.

I gather you're gear is new, so a dusty fan is probably not your
problem. OTOH, this message is calling your attention to a potentially
very serious problem. That's an expensive processor, and you don't
want to fry it. Check and double check your current cooling system.
Also, make sure the cooler is up to the task.

It's more important for you to lower the temperature of the CPU than
to raise the threshold for your harware to warn you of heat problems.

I would suspect that a better CPU fan/heatsink will solve your
problem, or else underclocking could be a stop-gap solution.

Good luck