[mythtv-users] FC3 vs FC4

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Sep 16 21:32:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 17:15, Phil Strong wrote:
> I am planning on upgrading to FC4 with a fresh install of the OS and
> mythTv.  Myth is working great so far but some other things I am
> working on like FC4 better or perhaps the new kernel.  Are there any
> known problems with FC4 that are not active in FC3?  Thoughts and
> comments welcome.

My first mythtv box is FC3 based.  I will be upgrading that system to
mythtv 0.18.1 this weekend.  I don't plan on upgrading the OS at this
time.

I started building a new box this week using FC4.  So far there have
been no issues except for a possibly bad PVR-500 card.

If you are doing a new install I would try FC4.  FC4 has been out long
enough now that most of the early problems have been resolved.  I was
pleased that FC4 did not have any problems with the motherboard I
selected for the new machine.  Network, sound, SATA controller, on board
video all were detected and worked with no fiddling required.
(fiddling, technical term...)

Follow Jarod's guide for the install and you should have few if any
problems.