[mythtv-users] Audio in dvd rips

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 21:16:32 UTC 2005

This is just something confusing me that problem indicates I'm not sure how
it really works. I'm in the process of ripping all my vhs and dvds so I can
store them away and just use the ripped version. I'm trying to preserve the
AC3 sound for playback over my newly working (and at the time of this
writing, one of the ONLY parts of my system working) digital sound. What's
getting me is I'm ripping a dvd and dumping the audio track as is, and the
file command reports:

file frameno.avi:
frameno.avi: ATSC A/52 aka AC-3 aka Dolby Digital stream, 48 kHz,, complete
main (CM) 3 front/2 rear, LFE on,, 384 kbit/s reserved Dolby Surround mode

but once I encode the video to go with it, file reports stereo sound:
file Golden_Eye_Bond.avi:
dvd_vobs/GOLDEYEX1-1.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 720 x 480, ~30
fps, video: XviD, audio: Dolby AC3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

I do have other avi's that report as
RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 720 x 304, 25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio:
Dolby AC3 (5 channels, 48000 Hz)

So it's just bugging me. I don't want to rip all my dvd's wrong, and then
have to go back and rip the sound different to have it sound right through
the stereo. Any one know what's going on with that?

Ryan