[mythtv-users] Sweet! PC HD3000 QAM_256 working, now about importing those channels?

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 19:35:12 UTC 2005

From: Brian McEntire <brian.mcentire at gmail.com>
>I'd heard rumors that PC HD3000 cards could
>receive clear QAM. I can
>confirm. Mine is working well. I had to grab the
>latest dvb-apps

Cool.

>It found many more but most are probably
>the encrypted QAM variety. After testing
>them by tuning with azap and then cat'ing and
>mplaying the (below),

There's an easier way.  If your mplayer is
compiled with dvb, you can put channels.conf
in your ~/.mplayer directory and do:
mplayer dvb://<channelname>

>I found the four I expected to be clear QAM
>and threw out the rest.
>NBC:561000000:QAM_256:16:17:1
>ABC:561000000:QAM_256:144:145:3
>CBS:567000000:QAM_256:16:17:1
>FOX:567000000:QAM_256:144:145:3

Those look like broadcast channels. Your cable
operator should transmit the PSIP data for them
so that you shouldn't have to rename them to
something more user friendly.  If there's no
PSIP data, then something is wrong.

>Now the question... Has anyone figured out how
>to import these channels into
>MythTV? I'm running 0.18.1. Inside of mythtv-setup,
>the only channel scan
>setup options seem to be ATSC or Cable. I tried
>cable but it doesn't find
>these channels even though the newer versions
>of dvb-apps find channels
>while scanning. (Not too suprising.)

If there's PSIP data, you shouldn't have to.
mythtvsetup should pick them up automagically.

>I see there is a manual way to add channels, and
>since I only have 4, that
>would be fine, but is there a way to find out
>the zap2it XMLTV ID?

Go to labs.zap2it.com, add those channels to
your lineup and do a mythfilldatabase.  It
should show up in your channel table where you
can go poke for it.  In the past, I bypassed
xmltvid and went to mythweb->settings->channels
and set the freqid to zap2it's cable channel number
but I don't know if it still works the latest svn
code.

Also, you never know what you'll find unencrypted.
Attached is a script I wrote that does the scan for
me.
On my system, it takes about 12 mins to scan the
frequencies and another 20 or so to capture
streams and test all the pids.

-Dennis

http://mail.yahoo.com