[mythtv-users] frontend on windows XP

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Sep 16 14:55:40 UTC 2005

>>> "AJ Hettema" <joukio at gmail.com> 09/16/05 10:40 AM >>>
> hello,
>  does anyone have experience with a full frontend of mythtv
> on windows XP???

DSMyth filters.  Otherwise, not really.

> Most frontends I have running are diskless clients and just running
> debian, but I find it a bit expensive to buy a computer for the kids

> to allow them to do theyre homework and stuff on it and buy another
> PC to give them access to mythtv backends. I would like to just have

> one computer for them each with windows XP on it and a
> mythfrontend on it.
>
> grtz
> Jouk

A few suggestions...

1.  Knoppmyth.  Just document what ip addresses and other settings
need to be changed.  Inconvenient, but easily the least expensive.

2.  VMWare.  Just have another partition loaded up with a regular
frontend.

3.  Ditch Windows.  My kids use KDE on one of the myth frontends.
It was a little difficult for the first few weeks, but they have
adjusted
fine and are able to do anything any of thier friends can do.  The
usb drive my 10 year old uses for school loads up fine from the
windows box at school to the linux box at home.

Paul