[mythtv-users] Simplifying the instalation? (everyone wants that!) - ideas for thought

Buzz buzz at oska.com
Fri Sep 16 03:50:12 UTC 2005

What about having "recommended" or "common" configurations?

1) single PC - everything installed,run and stored locally.

2) single backend system  - backend+tuners+lirc+database+web+filesystem all
on one host.  "basic" frontend on other host/s (as many as desired, often
just one) running GUI/mythfrontend+plugins only.

3) minor deviations from (2) eg: lirc on frontend, (extra) tuner/s in
frontend,

What other common instalations are out there....?

What about a Wizard configuration tool?... (for common configurations)

Theoretical....
----------------
Hello, and welcome to the Myth Configuration Wizard!
Before we continue, please be advised that all these settings can be
adjusted later via one of the utilities 'mythtv-setup' or 'mythfrontend's
Setup Menu. (or just run this wizard again!)
Please press 'Next' to continue.
----------------
What type of configuration will you be using on this PC?
1) single PC does everything (backend and frontend)
2) primary backend system does the hard work and storage. (contains the
tuner/s and storage space, etc)
3) basic frontend system (requires a backend to connect to, no tuners
installed, maybe infrared-remote)
4) custom/other (eg: secondary backend for tuners, or commercial flagging
CPU, or database, or frontend with tuner/s, etc).
Please press 'Next' to continue.
----------------
What additional options will be in this PC? (selected based on previous
answers)
(If unsure, please leave options as-is)
[x] infra-red reciever for remote
[x] infra-red transmitter for controlling a sat/cable/etc box
[x] run commercial flagging jobs if required/when idle?
[ ] ...etc...
[x] run the database for this instalation (one database shared for all
backends and frontends)?
[x] main recordings/video storage space
[x] tuner/s (analog/capture or Digital/DVB) - how many? [1] (enter number,
default 1)Please press 'Next' to continue.
----------------
What type/s of tuner do you have (you may select more than one if you have
them installed)?
[x] digital/DVB  - sattelite (S) or antenna(T) in
[x] analog (S-VIDEO or RCA/composite in)
[x] other (are there others?)
Please press 'Next' to continue.
----------------
...Etc.....

AND after the user answers the question/s the system builds a set of
pre-configuration parameters that would typically meet that scenario, and
these are somehow passed into mythtv-setup, or into the database, or
frontend or something.

Obviously, it'll have to PROBE for as much information as possible when
running, so the user doesn't have to know most things, like IP address, etc.
It could even ask to do a "scan" for other hosts in the /24 network and see
if they have backend/frontend/mysql ports open, and try connecting to them?

I know this sounds complicated, but if people like this idea, I'll write it.
Infact, I've written something similar to this before (for V2 of
http://netreg.sf.net which I wrote 90% of), so I'm sure I can do something
interesting.

Buzz.