[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

Kim Wall kim at ductilebiscuit.net
Thu Sep 15 22:47:10 UTC 2005

Blake wrote:

> What I normally do (rather than using RAID) is copy stuff to another
> hard-drive. I don't know of many people with good experiences using RAID.
> (And one of them--RAID0?--appears to be some sort of practical joke.<s>)

Same here, although I do automate it using rsync (see:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ for some cunning
ideas).

My logic is that if a disk fails I'm going to be faffing about with
screwdrivers and things to replace it, so the added effort of restoring
from a backup on another drive is minor in comparison.  The main
advantage of rotating backups over RAID is that it covers all manner of
human error (RAID will flawlessly duplicate your accidental deletions
across the drives), which I consider to be as if not more likely than
hardware failure.

In an ideal world you could of course combine the two, until the noise,
heat and electricity bill drives you insane :)

kim.