[mythtv-users] Exit and shutdown

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Sep 15 14:47:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 21:01 +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:

> Which XML file? I've searched through all the XML files under
> /usr/share/mythtv/themes and I can't find one that contains the text
> "Exit now" which makes me think this isn't in an XML file.

In /usr/share/mythtv/mainmenu.xml, there is a commented-out "SHUTDOWN"
entry, which may be what the previous poster was referring to. But this
only gives you a Shutdown option in the main menu. Clicking it produces
the same behavior as the ESC key; I still only have the option of "No"
or "Yes, exit now". No shutdown option.

It is clear that finding a way to get automatic shutdown to work is my
only option. I'm running from ATrpms so I don't have cpp source.

So here's a question about automatic shutdown, that I ask just to make
sure I'm not trying to do the impossible. What I'd like is to have the
master backend shut down the idle slave, but I don't ever want the
master backend to shut itself down, as that machine is used for purposes
other than MythTV and needs to stay up all the time. I thought I could
use the pre-shutdown script for this and have one that returns 0 on the
slave and 1 on the master, but this doesn't work. What happens is that
the master never does a shutdown of the slave either. I'm afraid that if
the shutdown script returns 1 on the master, it will shut itself down
too. I don't want that. Is there any way to configure the master backend
so that only slaves ever get shut down? Maybe using a shutdown script
that does nothing on the backend and does a real shutdown on the slave?
The problem with that is that the log quickly fills with attempted
shutdown messages on the back end. Any way to avoid that?

--Greg