[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Wed Sep 14 22:27:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:59:56PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> That's a good tip. Which   nvidia card should be used -- or, what's the
> best one - especially for HDTV. My be/fe is a AMD3200 running in 64bit mode.

It sounds like I may be wrong, Myth should work fine since it doesn't
user overlay as Isaac pointed out.  The most popular card for a linux
media box is a fanless FX5200.  The 5200's are very inexpensive
($35-$45) plus not having a fan on them are a plus for keeping a system
quiet.  The only thing lacking on them is 3D performance, but it's still
plenty to run wolfenstein/enemy territory, and I've even played farcry
on low settings.  if you want the boost on 3D, check the GPU clock
speed, some are 333mhz and some are 400mhz.  I've happened to burn out
one evga card, and my new one no longer drives DVI (After playing enemy
territory for 30 hours one week), but my case has almost no air
circulating (AKA, it's my own fault).

--Brandon