[mythtv-users] TV-Out

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 14 19:12:56 UTC 2005

On 09/14/05 12:25, DSanchez wrote:

> I have a Wintv Go plus card and i want to set it up to run off my 56
> inch wide screen TV. I've read that you can send the video to the TV
> via the yellow S-video port on the card, or by making a VGA converter.

Usually, the "yellow" plug is an RCA plug providing a composite video
connection.  The S-Video plug is typically black, about 3/8" round, and
has 4 holes in its center.  Both composite and S-Video only support
standard definition TV.  Based on the fact that it's a 56" wide screen,
I'm guessing you want high-definition.

> What method would you suggest? I'm looking for the best quality possible.

How to best connect your system to your TV is dependant on which TV you
have and how you plan to use the TV.  There are some who will say that
"DVI" is always the right choice, but in truth, that's not always the case.

For example, Samsung makes a line of 1080p (1920x1080) TV's (the
HL-Rxxx8W DLP TV's).  They accept HDMI, DVI, VGA, Component, S-Video, or
Composite connections (those being the ones applicable to Myth users).
We can immediately rule out S-Video and Composite because they provide
only standard definition.  HDMI is basically a DVI video connection with
audio connections in the same cable.  Although it's possible to get
converters to go from DVI to HDMI, this doesn't help us since there's
already a DVI connection.  However, the DVI connection only supports up
to 1080i signals--you cannot send a progressive signal at 1920x1080 via
the DVI connection.  Therefore, the only way to get a 1920x1080
progressive image to the TV is via the VGA (analog) connection.  Other
TV's have similar issues.

Note, also, that with most modern TV "monitors" (including CRT, PDP,
LCD, DLP), you have to give up on one of three
things: //full-resolution, 1:1 pixel mapping, or no overscan.  Depending
on which of the three you choose to give up on, you may need to use a
different connection type.  Also, and more importantly, which one you
give up will differently affect the "quality" of different parts of the
system (i.e. video, menus, etc.).

With a "real" computer monitor, you may not have to give up one of the
three.  However, computer monitors often support some resolution other
than HDTV native resolutions (i.e. 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080), so
you may have to display the video with black bars (usually at the top
and bottom) to have a 1:1 pixel mapping for the video.

HTH,
Mike